Thursday, December 02, 2004

Time Magazine recommends meditation.

Last night I got an email from Marilyn Bedford calling my attention to the cover story on high blood pressure of the current issue of Time Magazine. Yes, meditation is recommended - not, of course, as a substitute for medical care but rather as one component of a comprehensive program designed to maintain healthy blood pressure levels. I recommend the article and offer the pertinent passage to you here:

Unwind Your Mind

The more stressed you are, the higher your pressure can go. Meditation, yoga and similar techniques may help you - and your vessels - relax, in part by fighting the release of stress chemicals such as cortisol and adrenaline.

So here we have one more motivation for meditation. Of late we have discovered that reducing stress really does slow the aging process on a cellular level, that thoughts leave "footprints" in the brain, that meditation is helpful in reducing blood pressure. Of course my main reason for meditation is something I call "psychic hygiene". I remember a sign posted in a rehearsal hall back when I was still working as a musician. The sign said, "Practice so you can stand yourself". Yup, that's it. I meditate so I can stand myself! :-)

Remember the bazaar! It's tomorrow and Saturday. Scroll down for exact times. Hope to see everybody there.
Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.