Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Hatefulness and the response of compassion

Yesterday, I received an unsolicited email (from someone who is a stranger to me) trashing liberals and applauding the torture of prisoners. I know the internet is vast and impersonal in many ways but I can't help but initially feel somewhat violated and poisoned when I receive email wishing violence on people. This person claimed to be religious and furiously defended her position when I posed the question, "Whom would Jesus torture?"

I don't understand how the religion of those who claim to follow the one who said, "Love your enemies" can be used to justify viciousness and cruelty. But then in my internet browsing this morning I came across an insightful comment on a message board that explains it:

All you do is tell people that their worst impulses are holy, that their most disgusting prejudices are the will of God. They like hearing that.

We liberals have it tough. We ask people to think. We ask them to see nuances and be fair and occasionally consider other people's needs. No one wants to do that.

The meditative principles are based on compassion for oneself and for all beings and so we cannot be meditators of integrity unless we are willing "to see nuances and be fair and occasionally consider other people's needs." Actually we are to consider other people's needs more than just occasionally; we are to consider them all the time.

On reflection today it became important for me to purify my consciousness of the ugliness I encountered in the email exchange of yesterday. It was also important for me to realize that my correspondent was motivated by the universal motivation - the aspiration to be happy. She did what she did and she said what she said because on some level she believed it would make her happy. My job is to understand that and to forgive and so I found myself using a wonderful prayer of forgiveness by Caitlin Matthews I came across some years ago and now use regularly. I hope it brings peace and serenity to you all.

Prayer of Forgiveness

Healer of Hearts, Counselor of Souls,
Each morning the miracle of life is renewed in me;
As I have been restored, time after time
So now do I pass on the merciful gift to ______________.
On my part I release him/her/them from any bond of anger, blame, recrimination.
May all corrosive links between us be dissolved.
By the blessed balm of peace and concord.


No comments:

Post a Comment

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.