Saturday, January 08, 2005

Loving Yourself

I'm amazed sometimes by how many people refuse to believe that it's right to love themselves unconditionally. Resistance to this idea is undoubtedly the greatest cause of suffering I know and it not only causes suffering to those who cannot or will not love themselves; it also causes suffering to loved ones, friends and colleagues. Those who do not love themselves are typically ruthless in their judgment of others. And so I was especially pleased today when I came across the following passage from A Year of Living Consciously by Gay Hendricks:

On the surface it might sound like loving yourself is a selfish act, but it is actually the ultimate act of selfless giving. Egotism and bragging, for example, are so painful to behold because they are signs of self-hatred, not self-love. They are desperate attempts to call attention to yourself after you've sunk into self-loathing. One moment of genuine self-love can result in a lifetime of compassionate contribution to others. One of my friends, a yoga teacher and single parent with several children, told me, "If I take a few minutes in meditation each day to resonate with myself, I can do things all day with and for my kids. But if I don't take a little time for me each day, I end up feeling resentful about all the demands they make."

We could all take a hint from her discovery. Many times in my own life I have gotten mired in relationship conflicts only to realize after a while that the conflict had nothing to do with the other person. When you love the unlovable parts of yourself - anger, fear, grief, or whatever else - the problem with the other person clears up.


2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:00 PM

    Thank you , Ellie. It has caused a great deal of suffering. I'm grateful for the reminder, again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:07 AM

    If I love myself unconditionally, than I am important enough to take care of--physically, emotionally, psychologically, and spiritually. If it is not selfish to love oneself, then it is also not selfish to take the time and effort to tend to ones own well-being. This is definitely not a concept that most of us were taught growing up. But, if we are going to love our neighbor as ourselves, how can we love our neighbor if we don't love ourselves?

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.