Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Refuge Remembered

This morning, as I dodged the raindrops while rushing into the office building which houses the Center, I had a strong sense of appreciation for the refuge provided by that shelter. Most mornings, however, I don't think of it. I just walk in as part of my normal routine. But if it's very cold or very wet my gratitude for warmth and a roof are significant. I continued to experience that sense of appreciation as I settled down for the morning meditation sitting. And I found myself feeling an enormous gratitude for everyone who contributes financially to the Center thereby making it possible for us to pay the rent so that we have a meditation hall in a building that shelters us from the elements. My gratitude for the Three Jewels of refuge was intense as well. For just as I take refuge in the building from the rawness of a chilly, wet day, I take refuge in an interior sense as a way to relieve my own suffering - suffering caused by the mind poisons of anger, greed and delusion, suffering caused by my desire to have things be other than they are. And so I take refuge in my own fundamentally enlightened nature (even though I haven't fully realized that nature yet) - that is, who and what I really am on a deep level, not my ego or my self-image. I also take refuge in the richness of the wisdom teachings throughout all the ages and from all the great religious and philosophical traditions that offer a path to liberation. Finally I take refuge in the community of those on the path of awakening whether that community is experienced in the three or four people in the meditation hall on a given morning at 7:30 or is understood as all beings everywhere for all time.

Next time you take refuge in a welcome building from unpleasant weather, remember to take refuge on a more profound level as well. Accept that things are as they are. And let yourself appreciate that reality deeply.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:55 PM

    It was this idea of refuge that you taught in the Foundations class which helped me so much to be able to meditate--especially in the difficult times. I adapted a recitation from Thich Nhat Hanh that I start each meditation with to always remind me of why I am sitting.
    "I take refuge in the Goddess and the Buddha, the ones who show me the way in this life. I take refuge in the Dharma, the way of understanding and compassion. I take refuge in the Sangha, the community that lives in harmony and awareness." I have always hoped that Thich Nhat Hanh wouldn't mind too much the changes I made.

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.