Thursday, March 03, 2005

Finding a quiet corner

This morning I came across a book I had forgotten I have. It's called Find a Quiet Corner: A Simple Guide to Self-Peace by Nancy O'Hara. It's a little book that's organized as a series of short readings so you can open it up at random and dip in at any place. Here's a passage I found that is in keeping with what I've been talking about the past few days:

The ultimate aim of quiet corner practice is to bring ourselves into the present moment, to make ourselves aware of what is happening now - not yesterday or tomorrow, but now. It is to bring us into this moment and keep us here. You may not yet be aware that you are not always living in the moment. But as you continue on the quiet corner path, your awareness will improve. You will notice more readily when you are regressing or projecting. When you do notice, try centering your attention on your breath. Your breath will always help you focus on the present. If you take three deep breaths at such times, you will notice where you are and how you're feeling. Take stock of yourself. Look around you and notice something about your surroundings. Place yourself firmly in the present by taking note of the shoes you're wearing. Take three more deep breaths and notice your posture. Are you holding on to some tension? Breathe into it and let it go. What activity are you engaged in? Bring all of your attention to it and breathe. Don't think about finishing it, just be in it.

I like the idea of noticing one's shoes. That has the effect of grounding us in time and place and giving us a sense of connectedness with the earth. Also, giving attention to one's posture is a powerful mindfulness technique. I also like the idea of carrying a "quiet corner" with us wherever we go. It is similar to the ancient mystical notion of the hermitage within. Try the advice given in this passage and let me know how it goes, okay? I hope everyone's day goes well and that each person truly accesses his or her own "quiet corner".

2 comments:

  1. I have wanted to give meditation a try for a long time but did not know how to get started. This seems to be a real good starting point - I even took time out to give it a try. I love your site - am taking lots of notes for future pondering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel very honored that you are exploring the site, Rambling Rose. And I hope you DO give meditation a try. Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.