Sunday, March 06, 2005

The power of icons

Yesterday, I conducted a Quiet Day at Grace Church in Muskogee. The day was intended to be an introduction to contemplation so we started off with some simple instructions in basic mindfulness meditation - learning to be aware of thoughts and to accept them without judgment. First we worked with using a visualized image as a meditation support and then I recommended the simple mantra, "Be still." The participants seemed to be enjoying themselves but most complained about distractions. Everyone had "monkey mind" and everyone identified with that expression right away!

I was amazed, then, with what happened when we used icons as a support for meditation. First we simply rested the mind on the icon without any attempt to analyze it or assign meaning to it. People seemed to like that but several still complained of wandering minds. Finally I instructed the group in memorizing the icon. That's when the breakthrough happened for those with the most agitated minds. I asked if anyone had problems - you know, in life. There was laughter about that! Then I asked, "Where were the problems while you were memorizing the icon?" Several people looked at me with amazement. "Gone," they said. The problems simply weren't there. Whatever each person typically obsessed about on a daily basis had vanished during the memorization exercise.

Now let me tell you what I'm not saying. I'm not saying that meditation is about tuning out our problems. I am saying that our minds have much more flexibility than we give them credit for. And I'm saying that we can get relief from our suffering by using our minds skillfully. One of the most effective skills we can cultivate is the discipline of memorizing a sacred image.

I want to recommend that you go on and make the effort to find an image that really appeals to you - of a saint, an archetype or just someone you truly admire. Then spend time lovingly memorizing the image. Analyze it to your heart's content. Study all the details. Draw it, if you like, or pretend to draw it in your mind. Let your consciousness be spaciously occupied with this task. Then notice how free you are - free from worry, anxiety, judgments, obsessions. Completing the memorization task may take a long time. Months even. That's all right. It's not supposed to happen all at once. But eventually you will have the image wonderfully imprinted on your memory to use as a meditative support whenever you have a few free minutes. And the process itself will have been powerfully beneficial to your mind.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful exercise. I can't wait to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you found this posting, Rambling Rose. I have a feeling you will really take to the exercise!

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.