Saturday, April 09, 2005

The great aspiration

Today I picked up my copy of Pema Chodron's The Places That Scare You: A Guide to Fearlessness in Difficult Times. Sometimes I think it's easy for us to go about our daily lives in a routine way and forget what's really at stake regarding our meditative practice. Pema Chodron has this marvelous paragraph in a chapter entitled, The Facts of Life:

How are we going to spend this brief lifetime? Are we going to strengthen our well-perfected ability to struggle against uncertainty, or are we going to train in letting go? Are we going to hold on stubbornly to "I'm like this and you're like that"? Or are we going to move beyond that narrow mind? Could we start to train as a warrior, aspiring to reconnect with the natural flexibility of our being and to help others do the same? If we start to move in this direction, limitless possibilities will begin to open up.

Powerful questions I think. And I like the idea of "warrior training". Much is at stake. Let us ever guard against complacency!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:08 PM

    Pema Chodron's books have always provided me with things to learn and things to contemplate. I must admit though I inwardly cringe every time she uses the word "warrior" and when she talks about helping "others to do the same" when she talks about the work I should do on myself. To me, this feels aggresive and like proselytizing--both things I don't feel comfortable with and don't like having directed toward me. Is there another way I can look at this? Carolyn L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The warrior metaphor is about the TRAINING the warrior receives and the discipline that is involved rather than the violence of battle. Try looking at it that way.

    Helping others is done by doing our own meditative practice and then "sharing the benefit" with all beings. It is also done by taking an attitude of lovingkindness and compassion toward everyone whom we encounter. It is not about proselytizing at all. In fact, if you experience proselytizing as "aggressive" then the way of compassion toward others would, in fact, be NOT to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:56 AM

    Thanks. That explanation helps. I don't know why I didn't see helping "others to do the same" as being the same thing as "sharing the benefit" that you have talked about. I also like the explanation you give as to the warrior metaphor--that makes it more personal. Carolyn L.

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.