Thursday, May 11, 2006

Mindful eating and drinking

Andrew Weiss, in Beginning Mindfulness, offers the following:
FIVE CONTEMPLATIONS BEFORE EATING

This food is the gift of the whole universe - the earth, the sky, and much hard work
May I be aware of the quality of my deeds as I receive it.
May I practice mindfulness to transform greed, hatred, and ignorance.
May this food nourish me and prevent illness.
In gratitude I accept this food so I may realize the path of love, compassion, and peace

DRINKING A CUP OF TEA, SODA, WATER, OR ANY LIQUID

This drink is my cup of mindfulness.
I hold the present moment
In my hands.

AFTER THE MEAL

My plate is empty. My hunger is satisfied,
And my body's strength is fully restored.
I use my power for the benefit of all.
May all beings have the nourishment they need.

Mindful eating and drinking can be very soothing and centering. And, as always, a reminder to practice gratitude is truly valuable.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:09 AM

    The most important thing in meditators life is the patience.When a farmer keep seed in his land he waits and after some time he gets the result.same thing happens in meditators life also when he does not get result then also something is happening.He should not loose his patience.Actually all development of life are invisible and unknown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:19 PM

    Thanks for the posting. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.