Sunday, October 08, 2006

Today's prayer



May I be happy, well and peaceful.
May my parents, grandparents and ancestors be happy, well and peaceful.
May my brothers and sisters, my spouse and children, my grandchildren
and all future generations be happy, well and peaceful.
May all my friends and all my enemies be happy.
May all human beings sharing the earth be happy.
May all forms of life, plants, animals, birds, fish and insects be happy.
May all sentient beings in the universe be happy.
May we all be free from suffering and pain.
May we all be free from attachment of greed, anger and ignorance.
May we all attain perfect peace and happiness of Enlightenment through
Buddha's Wisdom and Compassion.

-- Loving-kindness meditation, Reverend T. Kenjitsu Nakagaki
(photo by Cynthia Burgess)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ellie,

    Beautiful prayer. Thanks.

    wv

    ReplyDelete
  2. reminds me of one that the Dalai Lama often quotes:

    With a wish to free all beings,
    May I always go for refuge,
    In the Buddha, the Dharma, the Sangha,
    Until I reach full enlightment.

    Enthused by wisdom and compassion,
    Today in the Buddha's presence,
    I generate the Mind seeking full enlightment,
    For the benefit of all sentient beings.

    As long as space remains,
    As long as sentient beings remain,
    So too will I remain,
    To dispel the misery of the world.

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.