Saturday, May 26, 2007

Wonder

When I was a child, I was given an illustrated copy of Rachel Carson's The Sea Around Us. I was in for an amazing adventure. And I have admired and respected Carson ever since. Here's something she said that I just found today:

If I had influence with the good fairy who is supposed to preside over the christening of all children, I should ask that her gift to each child in the world be a sense of wonder so indestructible that it would last throughout life.

-- Rachel Carson

I agree. And I credit Carson herself with stimulating that sense of wonder in me that has lasted throughout my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.