Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Cultivating a sense of unity

"Unity"

Probably one of the most important principles that I have learned from the 12-Step approach to spirituality is the discipline of looking for similarities rather than differences when I encounter other people. Instead of saying, "How is my story different from this person's story?" we are taught to say, "How is my story like this person's story?" It is a powerful spiritual practice. It is a way of cultivating empathy and also of learning from everyone we meet.

The Spirituality and Practice website recommends the following exercise:

Use the phrase "just like me" to signify your unity with others. Whenever you find yourself making an assessment of another person, whether you are saying something critical or something complimentary, right after you think or say it, add the statement "just like me." For example, "My partner is so stubborn, just like me." "My friend is so generous with her time, just like me." "She holds too many grudges, just like me." "He is so creative, just like me."
What an effective way of training ourselves to let go of judgment!

3 comments:

  1. This is so good. And the picture is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:07 PM

    This picture is very beautiful and meaningful! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome, Queen. Nice to have you visit. Come back!

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.