Friday, April 18, 2008

Being human

Every "Session 2" of the Foundations class at St. John's Center, we talk about the Four Reflections - sometimes known as the Four Great Contemplations. One of these is called "precious human birth". I typically say to the classes that I am convinced my cats are far better meditators than I am. No doubt about it. But can they reflect on their experience? Can they grow spiritually from their meditative practice? That we don't know. What we do know is that we can. That's why it's important not to waste the experience of being human. Through meditation we can learn to let go of grasping, competition, selfishness and cruelty and to cultivate compassion and lovingkindness.

Everyday, think as you wake up: Today I am fortunate to have woken up. I am alive. I have a precious human life. I am not going to waste it. I am going to use all my energies to develop myself to expand my heart out to others for the benefit of all beings.

--His Holiness the Dalai Lama

1 comment:

  1. My daughter went to one of the Dalai Lama's talks in Seattle and only said he was "cute." I wish I could have been there. What wise words. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.