Friday, April 16, 2010

Becoming a seeker

Our society is hugely focused on and attached to goals - so much so that many people feel like failures if they either don't have goals or if the goals they have do not come to fruition. Needless to say, a lot of unhappiness results. I have considerable appeciation, therefore, for the following:

The more I focused on lack and on what I couldn’t have, the more depressed I became. The more depressed I became, the more I focused on lack. My soul whispered that what I really yearned for was not financial security but financial serenity. I was still—quiet enough to listen. At that moment I acknowledged the deep longing in my heart. What I hungered for was an inner peace that the world could not take away. I asked for help and committed to following wheresoever Spirit would lead me. For the first time in my life I discarded my five-year goals and became a seeker, a pilgrim, a sojourner.

-- Sarah Ban Breathnach

I think it would be rich material for reflection to ponder the distinction between security and serenity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.