Thursday, April 22, 2010

Lovingkindness meditation

It's been a while since I've encouraged on this blog something called metta practice. Metta simply means lovingkindness and it is the sincere wish - toward ourselves and toward others - for happiness and wellbeing.

Here's the form I typically use:
May I be happy.
May I be well.
May everything be well in my life.
Then you repeat that using the pronouns he, she or they as appropriate.

I happened to find another form (this one by Jeff Brantley) that I've mentioned before on this blog (but not for several years now):
May I be happy.
May I be healed and healthy.
May I be filled with peace and ease.
May I be safe.
It's a little more specific than the first one and can really be helpful in times of anxiety or confusion.
~~~

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:01 AM

    "May I be safe." Wow, does that one resonate within my being. It almost seems as if I am safe the rest of them will work themselves out. I wonder if different lines are especially important to other people?
    Carolyn L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:39 AM

    I resonate with the line,
    "may I be filled with peace and ease".

    annie c

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.