Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Something about "right speech"

Sometimes I am very dismayed when people insist that "honesty" is the value that trumps every other value. I've heard the most egregious acts of unkindness justified in that way. Here's something that speaks to this issue:

If it is not truthful and not helpful, don't say it.
If it is truthful and not helpful, don't say it.
If it is not truthful and helpful, don't say it.
If it is truthful and helpful, wait for the right time.

- The Buddha

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:52 PM

    I was recently a victim of verbal abuse and when I objected, the person said, "I was JUST being honest"!

    annie c

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think quite often what people think of as honesty is simply their attempt to assert their own agenda or to make themselves feel better or superior by classifying the other person in a particular way. That's not to say that you shouldn't tell it how you see it when necessary but it shouldn't be arrogant.

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.