Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The five senses and mindfulness

Today I found an interesting website entitled Tiny Buddha: Simple Wisdom for Complex Lives. While browsing around on the site I came across a little article called 5 Rules for Life by Lori Deschene. Here's an excerpt:
See as much as you can of what’s right in front of you.

People often live life caught in two mental strongholds: regret for the past, and worry for the future. In looking back on the years I’ve lived so far, I know I’ve spent more time engaging in those activities than truly being present.

Whenever I catch myself, I check in with my five senses and experience what’s in front of me as fully as I possibly can.

I notice the details. Hear the sounds. And seep into the moment. I know I won’t do this all the time, but it adds up to create more time truly living in the now.
Checking in with what we're experiencing with and through our senses is an excellent way of bringing the mind back to the present moment. Try it sometime!
~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.