Friday, January 28, 2011

The practice of loving-kindness



The metta, or loving-kindness, meditation that I first learned goes like this:

May I be happy.
May I be well.
May everything be well in my life.

Then, that is extended:

May you be happy.
May you be well.
May everything be well in your life.

or

May he/she be happy
May he/she be well
May everything be well in his/her life.

Finally we open the circle to all beings everywhere:

May all beings be happy
May all beings be well.
May everything be well in their lives.

I must say, I do like the first focus on safety in the video above. This is especially supportive for anyone who has experienced trauma. (And, when you think about it, that's most of us.)
~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.